ok, so I lied about updating that post… It’s been about 3 weeks since I declared it finished and showed it to De. Sitting there looking at it in session, I realized how much I hated the ribbon around the outside lid and ripped it off as I walked back out of the building. I felt much better. i replaced the ribbon with black sand, but i still want to make a wall of small river stones or gravel along the curtain-line. To do that, i will have to buy some stones though.
Sometimes I get frustrated with my lack of supplies, or expertise in technique, or ideas, and just let the project rest indefinitely until I either get what I need, inspiration strikes, or I scrap it and change it all together. This box has been sitting “mostly finished” since the beginning of the month. It will likely stay like that for another several weeks as I have mentally moved on from it.
So, to keep from leaving too much suspense over the mostly-finished product, here are some pics. I don’t know where the pics of the outside of the box went, apologies.
And here’s the WIP painting I mentioned. It was born of an in-session assignment. I got frustrated with the way I was painting the chair as well as my lack of definition/direction with the person in the chair, so I moved on to other things (specifically, a shadow-puppet piece based off the same image – also stalled due to my lack of knowledge about where to take the performance of it, and technical know-how to accomplish what I am picturing in my head). I will finish this painting some day, but I doubt it will be any time soon. All my current energy is focused on making that shadow-puppet piece work out. I really miss puppetry. I’m having a blast trying to figure stuff out for it, and it’s getting me in contact with puppet-arts people to help get things correct. It has also renewed my interest in puppetry in general.